Well, I’ve allowed for another significant gap in my blog. Oh well, I’ve been extremely busy lately…what with the high holidays and the two projects I’ve been billing against and the book and…well, you get it.
And on top of that last Friday was quite the doozy. I woke up as usual around 5:00 a.m. to get ready to go to shul and then on to work. As I was in the bathroom I was brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth with Listerine when suddenly I noticed that the Listerine was dribbling out of my mouth and I could not control it. I thought that was odd so I tried to bring my lips together to make a whistle…I noticed that the left side of my mouth would come together properly but that the right side was just open and I couldn’t really whistle. That’s when I started to worry. So, I tried a couple of other things such as closing my left eye and then trying to close my right eye. I could close my left eye completely but I could hardly, if at all, close my right eye. At that point I decided something was wrong.
I heard my wife upstairs in the living room so I went upstairs and looked at her and said “I’m having weakness in the right side of my face.” I guess I really shouldn’t have stated it quite so simply but she was extremely frightened. Weakness on one side of your body is one of the tell-tale signs of a stroke. She asked me if I wanted her to call 911 and I said “What do you think?” She decided to call 911 and told them that she thought I was having a stroke. I remember sitting down on the loveseat and saying to my wife “I’m too young to have a stroke” (I’m 38) to which she replied “No, you’re not.”
After about 10 minutes the ambulance arrived and they spoke with me. Nice guys and they looked me over. They asked me if I had weakness in the right arm of leg…to which I noted that I did not. They were unsure of what to do because I wasn’t presenting as a classic stroke case. Finally my wife said “Go to the hospital…it’s the safest thing to do right now.” So, I got into the ambulance and was taken to the hospital.
They took me to Holy Cross Hospital which is about 7 miles away.